How goes it with ZF-360, many of you are asking? It’s going very well overall, but I’m going to need every minute of writing time this week to finish it up. Yesterday I declared that I’d make my deadline no problem, but I didn’t knock on wood quite hard enough.
Today I did some serious frogging, and believe me: frogging when you’re writing is even more painful than when you’re knitting. It’s all good, though; I’m very pleased with what I’ve got. It's just not enough.
I’m fairly certain I’ll be busy at work on ZF until Friday morning, when I hand Patrick the manuscript and Kara and I take off for the geekified bliss that is Readercon. Since I won’t be posting again until the Monday after that, I thought I’d keep you all occupied with a quiz/contest.
There will be two winners: the contestant with the greatest number of correct answers, and the contestant with the most entertaining answers. Though most of these are multiple choice questions, you’ll get extra points if you elaborate on why you made the choices you did.
Trust me: the very real prizes are fabulous, so get after it, already.
1) Though it is a fine song, which of the following does not appear in Luisa’s running mix entitled “Me Likey?”
a. “Mirror in the Bathroom,” by The English Beat
b. “The Ghost in You,” by The Psychedelic Furs
c. “A Forest,” by The Cure
d. “You Give Love a Bad Name,” by Bon Jovi
2) Luisa’s second cat was named for:
a. A French Canadian idiom
b. A character from The Lord of the Rings
c. The lead singer of The Bangles
d. A flavor of quark
3) ¿Quién es más macho? Latrell Sprewell o George Clooney?
4) Which junk food would Luisa readily admit to enjoying?
a. Magic Shell ice cream topping
b. Taco Bell Beef Enchirito
c. Lucky Charms breakfast cereal
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
5) The first LP Luisa bought with her own money was:
a. Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
b. Grease soundtrack
c. ABBA: Arrival
d. Billy Joel: The Stranger
6) If Luisa were to pursue a Ph.D., in which field would it be and why?
7) Which of the following great American writers does Luisa loathe most?
a. Norman Mailer
b. Philip Roth
c. Ernest Hemingway
d. Saul Bellow
8) If Luisa could commission one production by The Metropolitan Opera, which of the following would she choose?
a. The Turn of the Screw, by Benjamin Britten
b. Pilgrim’s Progress, by Ralph Vaughan Williams
c. Lakmé, by Leo Delibes
d. Orlando, by G. F. Handel
9) What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
10) Luisa's hero Hugh Nibley wrote, “Sin is waste.” Which of the following does Luisa consider the most sinful waste of time, energy, and/or resources?
a. Playing Weboggle
b. Memorizing all the words to The Barenaked Ladies hit song “One Week”
c. Getting a massage
d. Watching Law and Order
BONUS QUESTION: A still photo of Ralph Fiennes playing Charles Van Doren in the movie Quizshow appears at the top of this post. This is because:
a. Ralph Fiennes is at his most attractive in that film.
b. The surnames 'Fiennes' and 'Van Doren' both appear in Luisa's extensively researched family tree.
c. The results of this quiz are fixed.
d. None of the above
Hasta la vista, babies!