My adorable baby girl ringing in the New Year (on NYC time)
2012 was perhaps the biggest year of change of my life. I had a novel published and had another accepted for publication; I got hired to collaborate on a video game. I spoke at conferences, English classes, and signings. I moved with our large family across the continent to a very different but wonderful new life. As I look out my window at the palm trees and sunny skies beyond my balcony, I marvel at how different this day is from 1 January 2012.
Let's get to the lists.
Favorite Books Read or Re-read:
(I didn't rank books written by close friends, many of which were excellent.)
1) 11/22/63, by Stephen King
2) Flora's Fury, by Ysabeau Wilce
3) Pope Joan, by Donna Woolfolk
4) Acceptable Loss, by Anne Perry
5) A Short Stay in Hell, by Steven Peck
6) The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters
7) The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
8) The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin
9) Tuesdays at the Castle, by Jessica Day George
10) French Kids Eat Everything, by Karen Le Billon
Most Disappointing (not Worst) Book of the Year:
Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn
Best Music Purchased:
Ralph Vaughan Williams: On Christmas Day: Folk-Songs and Folk-Carols
Morten Lauridsen: Lux aeterna
Great Big Sea: XX
Gary Clark, Jr.: "When My Train Pulls In"
The Black Keys: "Little Black Submarines"
Favorite Movies Seen:
1) Moonrise Kingdom
5) Life of Pi
6) The Dark Knight Rises
7) The Hobbit
8) Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Best Meals Eaten:
Per Se, NYC
Brenda's French Soul Food, San Francisco
Chez Panisse Café, Berkeley
Luscious Dumplings, Monrovia
Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, Pasadena
Yarn of the Year: madelinetosh 80/10/10 MCN in the Grenadine colorway
Rose of the Year: Cramoisi Supérieur
Here's to 2013 being fabulous! Happy New Year, everybody.